Thursday, March 15, 2007

Pete Stark's Unitarianism

From the LA Times,
"When the Secular Coalition asked me to complete a survey on my religious beliefs, I indicated I am a Unitarian who does not believe in a supreme being," Stark said. "Like our nation's founders, I strongly support the separation of church and state. I look forward to working with the Secular Coalition to stop the promotion of narrow religious beliefs in science, marriage contracts, the military and the provision of social services."
My first thought was what Member of Congress doesn't consider themselves the supreme being, but if he Stark claims the secularist's label, he should voice solidarity with the secular Muslim signers of the St Petersburg Declaration.
We are secular Muslims, and secular persons of Muslim societies. We are believers, doubters, and unbelievers, brought together by a great struggle, not between the West and Islam, but between the free and the unfree.

We affirm the inviolable freedom of the individual conscience. We believe in the equality of all human persons.
Read it all.

2 comments:

ogre said...

Er, what?

One of my peeves is blogging that cites much and comments (and analyzes) little. What's your point here, Bill? Or your beef?

Is this snark, or something heartfelt, and why?

Hell, I'm not an atheist, and I can affirm that I support the St. Petersburg Declaration. It's fundamentally a liberal religious document affirming everyone's right to conscience, choice, liberty.

What's the point regarding Stark; that he would, or wouldn't, or that he's a MoC and ought to (and why?)?

Lost me.

Bill Baar said...

My point is Religious Liberals in the west take little notice and give little support to Religious Liberals else where.

How many other Liberals took notice of St Petersburg. Stark had a perfect opportunity to lend a hand here to friends and failed.