Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Wishy Washy Unitarian Universalism

As for....
“Well they’re just a bunch of wishy washy all over the place believing whatever values fits their mood type people.”
And what's wrong with being shallow and moody? What's wrong with thin belief?

When I joined my Church I was welcomed home. I was offered a refuge not a belief.

Most people I meet cannot believe in much of anything, and I'm most proud I belong to a Church where the unbeliever, and those torn and unsettled in beliefs, can find a home.

If UU Churches are anything, they are that. If we lose the habit of offering a home without care to belief, we're in very sad shape.

3 comments:

Dan Harper said...

Best post ever. Thanks, Bill.

And if the alternative to "wishy washy all over the place" is having some unbelievable dogma or creed stuffed down my throat, I'm all for wishy-washy and moody.

Bill Baar said...

Thanks Dan...appreciate that..

I probably learned this from hearing you.

Gerry said...

Everyman's gotta believe in something; I believe I'll have another beer. First and foremost...