Friday, October 07, 2011

The King’s Speech

The King’s Speech

The conclusion on the King's speech by a saudi woman blogger,

When the government finally allowed women to carry ID cards a decade ago, they made sure there was a catch. I could only get an ID if my guardian first went to open a file for me and signed a consent form. The illusion of my being an independent woman depended on my father’s being OK with it. The same goes for getting into university, getting a job or travelling.

Will I be able to get a voter registration card without my guardian’s permission? It seems unlikely. What if I want to run for election? Does he have to quit his job and stay with me all day while I campaign, sign all my forms and drive me around? Or will I get a budget from the government for a driver? Maybe I’ll run on a platform of public transport for all.

If change is to come to Saudi Arabia it won’t be through royal decrees.

No comments: