Saturday, October 22, 2011

A well run Church

When I've suggested attending UU Churches to friends or family I've usually made the case we know how to run a Church. Our theology can be incoherent at times and some of us prone to hasty plunges with the leftish cause du jour (witness OWS) but, my experience has been we know how to run a Church.

Now the two UU Churches I've belonged to were ministered by the same couple. Never together, but I'm hardly getting a representative sample of styles. They share much, and I'm not sure Ministers really run the Church all that much either.

Rev Dan Harper calls that into question with a book review on the strange case of Rev Church, and Boys in the Band picks up on it here.

I think the era of long serving Ministers beyond us know and the future is Ministers serving for much shorter terms. The Congregation provides continuity now. We'll have to be a bit disciplined and deliberate about it now.

1 comment:

Robin Edgar said...

"Our theology can be incoherent at times and some of us prone to hasty plunges with the leftish cause du jour (witness OWS) but, my experience has been we know how to run a Church."

Do UUA administrators, and the UUA Board of Trustees etc., *really* know how to run The Tiny Declining Fringe Religion™ Bill?

U*Us sure coulda fooled me. . .

Apparently the UUA Board of Trustees took a rather hasty poorly thought through "plunge" into the Occupy Boston version of Occupy Wall Street yesterday, at a time when they *should* have been working on irresponsibly neglected UUA Board business.

Gotta love lemming-like U*U "leaps of faith".

No?