Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Unheard Voices of Unitarian Universalist Conservatives

Above the name of a play that will be performed at General Assembly.  I’ve been asked to respond to a few questions to supply some lines that may be selected for it.  So I’ll post my responses as posts here in the hope they might gin up some interest in the session. Here’s a description of it,
Crossing Political Borders, Breaking Down Barriers
Marjorie Bowens-Wheatley’s prized litany, #576 from Singing the Living Tradition, calls Unitarian Universalists to restore the human family. In its fourth verse Wheatley probes: “If you are progressive and I am conservative,” and the response is given “It will not matter.” Sadly our congregations struggle to heed this call, while we are winning big successes bridging the divide between humanist and theist, the human family breaks at the border of political ideology. When pushed, many politically liberal Unitarian Universalists defend their congregation’s partisan make-up by asking, “how can we do viable social justice work if we don’t all agree politically?”
Our program will examine the political barriers that exist in our congregations through a short play called “The Unheard Voices of Unitarian Universalist Conservatives” and a multi-media lecture. Our premise is that viable social justice work around immigration can thrive in a congregation that welcomes individuals across the partisan spectrum.
This will NOT be a session to discuss the pros and cons of specific political positions.
Speakers: Rev. Nancy McDonald Ladd (Bull Run Unitarian Universalist), Rev. Anya Sammler-Michael (Unitarian Universalists of Sterling), Paul Roche (Unitarian Universalists of Sterling.)
Great topic.  I’m honored to have been asked to share some thoughts.
More coming…

Cross Posted to Conservative Forum for Unitarian Universalists on Facebook

Update:  Bill Whittle explains why Conservatives suck,


Update: Parts one and two of my responses so far for the play.

4 comments:

Peter A. Taylor said...

I'm afraid my comments on Unitarian Universalism from a conservative standpoint won't go over well. I suggest replacing it with a new space alien cult.

Bill Baar said...

My experiences based mostly on my Church and will be positive ones. I think if it would be thoughts on the greater UUism out there, then I'd be out; not even bothering with comments.

I think the people behind this workshop realize there's a number of folks especially of the conservative/libertarian variety who could be at home in our Churches (and spur some growth) if some Churches could resolve this divide better.

DairyStateDad said...

as a Liberal and as a UU who identifies as Christian, I think this is important work you are participating in, and I wish you well in it. Just as I think that UU'ism can and needs to make room for both theists and non-theists and can do so in a way that is still authentic and powerful (not saying we've always done that), I think it can and needs to make room for liberals and conservatives and find an authentic and powerful way to do that as well.

Bill Baar said...

@DairyStateDad... thanks much. Appreciate the encouragement.