Wednesday, August 01, 2012

'Sister Wives': Christine Admits She Doesn't Trust Her Fellow Wives (VIDEO)

I’ve never watched the show.  I just stumbled across a news story explaining Utah wasn’t going to prosecute any members of the caste for polygamy (a felony in Utah).

'Sister Wives': Christine Admits She Doesn't Trust Her Fellow Wives (VIDEO)

As far as I can tell, Unitarian Universalism has no theology of marriage to guide us on this one.  We did once and were pretty vocal about it.

I’d argue a marriage between one man and multiple women inherently harmful to women.  Marriage involves power and this kind of marriage inevitable grants a man a harmful amount of power over these women.

I understand the Libertarian case though that maybe Government best stay out of these arrangements.  Also the pragmatic case that probably caused Utah to sit it all out.

But what in the world does a UU faith which rambles on about marriage equality and hate have to say?  Rev Dan Harper once told me we UUs have no theology of marriage.  If that’s the case, how do we judge?

2 comments:

JMP said...

"Rev Dan Harper once told me we UUs have no theology of marriage. If that’s the case, how do we judge?"

Why judge at all?

Bill Baar said...

Good question.

The Libertarian case, and one I tend to support, is government should get out of the marriage licensing business because it's got no business judging. Ron Paul will say this.

I think Marriage is a public institution too. An important one that impacts the economy and child rearing.

It's also an institution that regulates power between individuals.

So I think it important Churches say something about marriage.

I've watched UUs (and the left) go through a few permutations on marriage from a kind of slavery to today's demand for equality.

I find our thought pretty muddy (although the slavery frame did deal directly with the issue of power).

So, yes, I think marriage important enough that a UU theology should judge. Not that it should all agree, just that some judgments should be made.