Friday, September 07, 2012

"The Faith Behind Freedom" by Rev. A. Powell Davies D.D. - Davies Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church

Another Davies quote.  Please read the whole proclamation though.  Feel free to let me know how well Davies words have held up over the years.  I’m curious, as the religion he voiced then, is pretty much mine now.
WE BELIEVE THAT FREEDOM GROWS FROM FREE RELIGION, THAT ONLY A FREE RELIGION CAN BE UNIVERSAL. AND THAT EVERY OTHER FREEDOM IS BASED ON FREEDOM OF THE MIND.  A true religion knows no barriers of nation race or class, and no exclusions through a creed.  Its unity is in its purpose; its covenant is brotherhood.  As no man can be good enough to be the master of another, so no man can be wise enough to bind another in belief.  Hence, we reject all orthodoxies and proclaim the Free and Universal Church.
"The Faith Behind Freedom" by Rev. A. Powell Davies D.D. - Davies Memorial Unitarian Universalist Church

1 comment:

UUFreespirit said...

I like it, Bill. I make no apologies for being a Davies UU, and cassette tapes and brochures of his sermons formed the "Faith of the Free" that still resonates with me. I hate that this high-profile, affirmative paradigm of "freedom within religion" got pretty much lost along the way, except for a few of us who have tried to keep it alive somewhat online (e.g. via my Faith of the Free Facebook page).